Transfer Students

Thank you for considering the University of New Hampshire. You are a transfer student if you have matriculated (enrolled in a degree program) at another college or accumulated more than 16 semester hours of college credit at any institution.  The following short videos have information on getting started, how to apply, credit transfer and more!

In reviewing your application, we will consider your entire academic history, as well as your personal experiences. The following criteria are considered most closely:

  • Trend in achievement, with your most recent academic record given the most weight. Although there is no specific GPA requirement, most admitted students have a cumulative grade-point average of 2.8 or above.  Some majors may have additional criteria. 

  • High school and college course selection as it relates to your intended major.

  • You must be in good standing at, and eligible to return to, the last institution of higher education you attended. If you have been suspended at another institution you are not able to apply to UNH during the period of your suspension. If you have been expelled from an institution, you must wait two years before being considered for admission to UNH; this applies to UNHM, our Manchester NH campus, as well.

While the University does not guarantee on-campus housing for transfer students, you may contact the Housing Office at (603) 862-2120 for information on the availability of on-campus housing and to place your name on the housing wait-list. We also have available lists for off-campus housing, including a roommate listing.

Transfer students may apply for need-based financial aid.

If you are currently in a University of New Hampshire associates degree program please follow the transfer student application requirements for:

Thompson School two to four year transfer applicants

UNH Manchester two to four year transfer applicants

Closed Majors


Occupational Therapy

Undeclared Health and Human Services

Restricted Majors

Some majors are restricted due to space limitations.  To be considered for a restricted major, your application must be submitted and complete prior to the October 15, deadline.

Restricted Majors:

Athletic Training

Biomedical Science: Medical Laboratory Science

Communication Science and Disorders

College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (All majors)

 Health Management and Policy

Kinesiology: Exercise Science

Kinesiology: Physical Education

Kinesiology: Sport Studies


Peter .T. Paul College Business and Economics ( All Majors)

Recreation Management and Policy: Program and Event Management

Recreation Management and Policy: Therapeutic Recreation