How to Apply: Transfer

How to Apply: Transfer
Students on campus
Transfer to UNH

transfer Checklist

Take the next step.

Thank you for considering the University of New Hampshire. You are considered a transfer student if you have met one of the below criteria:  

  • You have graduated from high school or have earned the equivalent of a high school diploma and have taken any college level coursework post high school graduation.

  • You have graduated from high school or have earned the equivalent of a high school diploma and are a non-traditional student (24 years or older, a caregiver, or financially independent).  

Important Dates & Reminders

April 1 - Fall Application Deadline: Application review for the Fall term will begin in mid-February and decisions will be released as they are finalized starting in March.

**June 15 - Fall Application Deadline Extension: Application review for the Fall term will begin in April and decisions will be released as they are finalized starting in mid-April.

Oct. 15 - Spring Application Deadline: Application review for the Spring term will begin in late September, and decisions will be released as they are finalized starting in mid-October/early November.

Dec. 18 - Spring Application Deadline Extension: Application review during the extension will begin as soon as they are complete, and decisions will be released as they are finalized in late December.

Mar. 1 - Financial Aid Priority: The sooner you apply, the better! You can start the application process even before you are accepted at UNH. The federal code for UNH: 002589

View more details

UNH students strolling outside the Peter T. Paul College building

Academic Preparation

In reviewing your application, we will consider your entire academic history as well as your personal experiences. The following criteria are considered most closely:

  • You must be in good standing at, and eligible to return to, the last institution of higher education you attended. If you have been suspended at another institution you are not able to apply to UNH during the period of your suspension. If you have been expelled from an institution, you must wait two years before being considered for admission to UNH.

  • Trend in achievement, with your most recent academic record given the most weight. Although there is no specific GPA requirement, most admitted students have a cumulative grade-point average of 2.8 or above. Most majors outside of the College of Liberal Arts will require a 3.0 or higher GPA and may have additional criteria.  Please see below for more information.

  • High school and college course selection as it relates to your intended major.

*Some programs may have additional requirements or are closed for external transfer admission

The following majors at UNH are restricted due to space limitations and/or required coursework. Please review to see recommendations by major 

College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (CEPS)

  • All Majors
    Successful transfer applicants to CEPS typically earned a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA at their prior institution, and have successfully completed Calculus 1 with a strong grade.

Additional Prerequisite for the following CEPS majors

  • All Engineering Majors
    C or better in Calculus based Physics 1 is preferred.
    If students do not have Calculus based Physics 1, a C or better in Chemistry 1 will be accepted.
    (Note: Calculus 2 is required for Mechanical Engineering)
  • BA Earth Science
    Pre-calculus with B- or better and C or better in a lab science class

  • Chemistry
    C or better in Chemistry 1 or Calculus based Physics 1
  • Information Technology and Computer Science majors
    Earned a C or better in one semester of computer programming (Java, C++, or Python)
  • Physics
    C or better in Calculus based Physics 1 or Chemistry 1

College of Health and Human Services (CHHS)

  • Communication Science and Disorders
    3.0 cumulative GPA or better
  • Health Management & Policy
    3.0 cumulative GPA or better

College of Life Sciences and Agriculture (COLSA)

  • Most COLSA transfer admits will have a 3.0 cumulative GPA.  Transfer students applying to majors in COLSA should have strong mathematics and science preparation overall.
  • Transfer Students may only enter as an Undeclared COLSA student if their credit totals do not exceed 40.

College of Liberal Arts (COLA)

  • Transfer Students may only enter as an Undeclared COLA student if their credit totals do not exceed 57 credits

Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics

  • All Majors

    3.0 cumulative GPA or better
    Successful completion of Micro or Macro Economics
    Successful completion of Finite Math or Calculus (College Level Pre-Calculus can be used to gain admissions, however students will still need to complete UNH's business quantitative reasoning course as a requirement for the major curriculum)
    Statistics may be considered, if there is evidence of strong college preparation math background in high school

The following majors are closed to transfer applicants:

  • Exercise Science 

  • Health Sciences

  • Nursing

  • Occupational Therapy

  • Sports Management and Leadership

*Scholarship and Transfer Credits

Accepted transfer students from both associate degree programs and from four year colleges are eligible for scholarships based on listed criteria. Applications must be submitted by the semester deadlines to be eligible for these scholarships. They are not available to students who have already received a bachelor's degree.

Scholarships for transfer students

For course credit to transfer from another school, the following criteria must be met:

  • The course was taken at an institution fully accredited by an association of schools and colleges.

  • The grade earned in the class was at least a "C" or its equivalent.

  • The course was not remedial or vocational in nature or taken as part of a certificate program.

  • Mathematics coursework must be completed at the pre-calculus level, or higher, to transfer. No credit is awarded for mathematics courses which duplicate high school level algebra or below. Credit is accepted for finite mathematics and statistics courses.

  • To receive credit for elementary level world language coursework, a student cannot have completed two or more years of study in that same language in high school.

Access the Transfer Credit Database

Upon admission to UNH, an official credit evaluation will be completed and posted to your online MyUNH account. You will be able to view the total credits transferred and any Discovery Requirements that have been fulfilled upon admission. Transcripts will then be reviewed by the academic department to determine which courses from other institutions will be accepted towards fulfilling major requirements. Please note this step may take additional time. Learn more about AP credit transfer above in the section on special program requirements under Academic Requirements.

UNH students studying outside on campus

Application Requirements

Apply for UNH admission using the online Common Application. Further instructions and details about the application process are outlined on the site. If you are a veteran, non-traditional adult student, or applying from TSAS or UNH-Manchester, you should use the UNH Transfer Application. If you are a N.H. community college student, you should use the NH Transfer application. There are no interviews as part of the application process.

Common Application Fee

$50 for New Hampshire residents
$65 for non-residents
Fee waivers can be requested through the Common Application.

Pay online at the time you submit your Common Application.  Or you can mail a check, made payable to the University of New Hampshire. Please reference the student’s name and date of birth in the memo. Please mail your payment to the following address: 

UNH Undergraduate Admissions Office
Smith Hall
3 Garrison Avenue
Durham, NH 03824

    Students must submit their official high school transcript, general equivalency diploma (GED), or HiSET scores unless they have previously obtained their bachelor’s degree.

    UNH Undergraduate Admissions Office
    Smith Hall
    3 Garrison Ave 
    Durham, NH 03824

    Each student must have their official college transcript(s) sent to the following:

    UNH Undergraduate Admissions Office
    Smith Hall
    3 Garrison Ave 
    Durham, NH 03824

    • If your previous institution has the capability to submit electronic official transcripts, they can also email the transcript to

    • If your previous college is no longer operating, please get more information from the N.H. Department of Education or the Department of Education in your respective state.

    NH residency declaration form will be emailed to students who indicated a legal residence/domicile address in the state of NH.


    For specific music and theatre programs only

    Students planning to study music education, music history, music performance, or music theory are required to audition as part of the application process. Please visit the Music Department for more details and information.

    Students planning to study theatre acting, dance, or musical theatre are required to audition as part of the application process. Please visit the Theatre Department for more details and information.


    For Studio Art major only

    Students planning to major in studio arts are required to submit a portfolio as part of the application process. Please visit the Studio Arts Department for more details and information.

    Advanced Placement (AP)

    For qualified students only

    UNH recognizes the College Board's Advanced Placement Examination (AP) program as a means of evaluating a student's eligibility for advanced placement and credit. Students who have participated in the AP program and who have been admitted to the University should have official AP grade reports sent directly to the UNH Admissions Office (CEEB # 3918) from the College Board. After receiving the College Board AP grade report, the Admissions Office notifies the student, the student's college dean/adviser, and the Registrar's Office of any credit award and advanced placement. Please review UNH’s AP policies related to scores and transferring credits.

    DD214 (Veterans Only)

    Veterans should submit a copy of the DD214 or 2586 form with nature of discharge to verify potential credits earned for military service. Do not submit the original, as you will need it throughout your life to prove your veteran status and establish eligibility for GI Bill and other veterans benefits from the VA, State, and local community. If still on active duty, submit the copy when you are released.

    Veterans are encouraged to request a copy of their military transcripts to be evaluated for possible transfer credits.

    Application Requirements

    All credits from the Thompson School will transfer to a UNH baccalaureate program, but may not necessarily fulfill the student’s new degree requirements or General Education/Discovery requirements. Completion of a baccalaureate degree after graduating with an associate degree may take longer than 2 years if you do not transfer into the baccalaureate degree program that aligns with your associate degree. The aligned programs are as follows: Applied Animal Science and Veterinarian Technology align with Animal Science and Forest Technology aligns with Forestry. In general, the majority of the students who set out to earn a baccalaureate degree within the 2+2 programs, finish in four years.  Those students who may look to double major or consider the Pre-Vet track will require additional time at UNH to complete their coursework.

    Students may also seek to transfer to a four-year program before completing their associate degree; however, if a student was not admissible to a four-year program at UNH directly out of high school they will need two semesters of successful college-level work before the UNH Admissions Office will consider their transfer form. Please reach out to the Transfer Team at with any questions.

    All physical application materials (non-online) for undergraduate admissions should be mailed to:
    University of New Hampshire Undergraduate Admissions
    Smith Hall
    3 Garrison Avenue
    Durham, New Hampshire 03824

    Application Documents 

    • Please use black ink and the student’s date of birth on all documents.
    • There are no interviews as part of the application process.


    • Permanent resident aliens need to submit a copy of their permanent resident card.
    • Non-U.S. citizens should include a photocopy of the passport page with biographic information.

    Student Accessibility Services 

    • IEPs, 504 Plans, and other documentation regarding a disability should not be sent to the Admissions Office. These materials should be sent to the Student Accessibility Services Office. Any materials of this nature sent to the Admissions Office will be shredded. 
    UNH students on campus

    NH Community Colleges

    It's easy to apply and transfer to UNH from a N.H. community college. To streamline the application process for N.H. community college students, no common application or fee is required. Learn about your application options and the transfer credit process belowWe are here to support you, Please call the Transfer Team at (603) 862-1360 or email if you have any questions.

    If you are enrolled in an associate degree program at a N.H. Community College, you can apply using the N.H. Transfer Application

    We accept up to 72 credits for associate level coursework. You can use the UNH Transfer Credit Database to learn about how courses transfer from any of the N.H. community colleges.  Our general transfer credit policy website provides more information on how to check your transferred credits after you are admitted.

    Students walking near Thompson Hall

    Pathways & Articulations

    UNH has worked with the Community College System of New Hampshire to pre-approve course transfer to provide specific pathways and articulation agreements towards many UNH degrees. Pathways provide guidance about which courses to take while enrolled as a community college student, and how these courses will apply towards your bachelor’s degree at UNH.

    In addition to our transfer application process we offer articulation agreements between UNH and NH community colleges. The intention of articulation agreements is to set forth the points of mutual understanding that are necessary to form, maintain and communicate transfer information between colleges and the University of New Hampshire.  See below for more information on the articulation agreements between UNH and New Hampshire community colleges. The transfer pathway sheets above are based on these agreements.

    Agreements for Great Bay Community College, Lake Region Community College, Manchester Community College, Nashua Community College, NHTI - Concord's Community College, River Valley Community College, White Mountain Community College

    Agreements for Great Bay Community College Only

    Agreements for NHTI - Concord's Community College Only

    Agreements for River Valley Community College

    • River Valley College and University of New Hampshire Medical Laboratory Science articulation agreement

    Get more information on transfer courses credit evaluations from other CCSNH schools and other college divisions at UNH.

    UNH Manchester

    The Manchester campus also offers these pathways to completing UNH degree.

    Questions? We are happy to help.
    Get in touch and we will get back to you as soon as we can.



    Request Information