How To Apply: Veterans and Non-traditional Students

How To Apply: Veterans and Non-traditional Students
Thompson Hall aeriel

Application Checklist 

Veterans & Non-Traditional Checklist

Take the next step.

UNH welcomes applications for admission from veterans and non-traditional students. The University defines non-traditional students as those who are 24 years or older; a caregiver, financially independent; or somebody with an interrupted sequencing of education. Today, more than 10 percent of our undergraduate population fits this category.

Non-traditional students come to UNH from many avenues. They've raised families; worked in occupations as varied as accounting, construction, and graphic design. Their life experiences add rich diversity to the community and make them natural leaders on campus. In recent years, non-traditional students have held positions in the student senate and even been elected president of the student body.

Preadmission Program

If you are a student who may need to strengthen your academic credentials you may wish to consider the pre-admission program.

The Preadmission Program allows non-traditional students the opportunity to begin studies through Continuing Education at UNH and to use coursework completed while in the Preadmission Program as a credential for admission to a UNH associates or bachelor’s degree program.

View more details

Students sitting on bench

Application Requirements & Deadlines

Veterans and non-traditional students are considered as either a first-year student or a transfer student.

Application requirements are the same whether you apply to the Durham or Manchester campus.

Student studying in library

Preadmission Program

The Preadmission Program allows non-traditional students, who may need to strengthen their academic credentials, the opportunity to begin studies through Continuing Education at UNH and to use coursework completed while in the Preadmission Program as a credential for admission to a UNH associate and bachelor’s degree program.


Submit the UNH Transfer Form to the Admissions Office. We accept applications for Preadmission for the fall semester through the end of July; for spring semester, through the middle of December. For your major choice, indicate "Preadmission Program."

Send in your supporting academic records: high school transcript, GED, HiSet, and college transcripts. If you are a military veteran, send a copy of your Military Form DD-214 with the nature of discharge as well as evaluations of any Military Schooling you may have completed while in the Armed Forces.

The Admissions Committee will review your application for the Pre-Admission Program and notify you of our decision. If approved, students register for classes through Continuing Education and work with the University Advising Center (UAC) to select appropriate coursework. The UACC will send you a follow up letter with information about when you should schedule an advising appointment.

Can I use financial aid?

Provided you have submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form, you are eligible to receive Federal Direct Loans, but will not receive other forms of federal or institutional aid.

Can I use my military educational benefits?

Yes, provided you have completed the necessary governmental paperwork.

Students generally complete four to six courses over two semesters, to include ENGL 401-First Year Writing; a quantitative reasoning course, and a science Discovery course. You may also complete introductory courses within the major you intend to pursue.

In the semester prior to your intended transfer to a four year program, submit the UNH Transfer Form to the Admissions Office by the appropriate deadline: April 1 for fall semester; October 15 for spring. There is no application fee. 

Your application to transfer from the Pre-Admission Program to an associate or bachelor’s degree program will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee and a decision will be based on your overall performance in UNH coursework, as well as, availability in your intended major.

Full Time Special Student Status

Full-Time Special Student Status

UNH offers a special student classification for persons who wish to participate in University coursework on a full-time basis without entering a degree program. In evaluating requests for full-time special status (FTSS), the Office of Admissions generally applies the same criteria used in the review of applicants for admission to degree candidacy. Full-time special students have full access to academic support services but are not eligible for University-based financial aid. Students must maintain satisfactory achievement to continue with University coursework. Full-time special (non-degree) students register for coursework through the Registrar's Office.

application petition for full-Time non-degree status 

Academic Plan for Athletes

U.S. flag in sky

Veterans Resources

U.S military personnel planning to use GI Educational Benefits should contact our Veterans Coordinator at

Our Veteran's Coordinator provides counseling on all aspects of veterans' benefits, as well as assistance in procuring and completing the required forms and certifications for veteran's benefits including GI Bills, Federal Tuition Assistance, NH National Guard Scholarships and Waivers, Spouse and dependent's benefits from the VA (Chapter 35, Chapter 33 TEB, and REPS), from MyCAA, and the NH War Orphans' Scholarship.

Veterans Support website




Questions? We are happy to help.
Get in touch and we will get back to you as soon as we can.


Contact Your Admissions Counselor

Contact Undergraduate Admissions