- Requests for deferrals should include a short description of your intended plans during the deferral period and must be made in writing to email@example.com or UNH Admissions, 3 Garrison Ave, Durham, NH 03824. Please include your name and student identification number.
- With few exceptions, UNH will not approve deferral requests for students to complete college coursework elsewhere or for a post-graduate year.
- If you know you will be deferring your admission, you do not need to send in an enrollment deposit now; however, if there is a chance your plans may change, an enrollment deposit must be received by May 1 to guarantee fall semester entry.
- If a deferral is approved, a form to reinstate admission for the future semester will be sent with the approval letter. Please follow the instructions provided on that form.
- Students who defer for a year must remember to complete the FAFSA by March 1 of the year they will be enrolling to be considered for need-based financial aid. Students who defer for only one semester will have their financial aid package modified accordingly.
First Year Fall Checklist
Follow this timeline to complete your enrollment and be ready for your fall semester.
- Activate your MyUNH account using the student identification number on your acceptance letter.
- MyUNH is where you’ll apply for housing, choose a meal plan, check your financial aid, make payments, register for classes and more.
- Access your Parent Portal.
- Submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1 if you are applying for aid.
- Learn more about financial aid.
- Register for orientation, and save the date for your session.
- Explore your housing and dining options. Learn about our 30 residence halls, three dining halls and extensive menu of meal plans.
- Pay your enrollment deposit by May 1 — $550 if you plan to live on campus, $350 if you’ll be commuting.
- To pay by mail, send the top portion of your deposit bill and a check in the blue envelope enclosed with your acceptance letter. Be sure your name and student ID # is on the check. If you misplaced the envelope, please mail your check and deposit form to Business Services.
- Complete your online housing/dining application by May 1.
- Provide your notarized residency form by the end of May if you’re a New Hampshire resident.
- Request a deferral if you would like to postpone enrollment at UNH for a semester or a year for personal reasons such as work, travel or health issues.
- Enrollment Deposit Refunds
Request received May 2 - May 31 -- $175
Request received June 1 - August 15 -- $90
No portion of the enrollment deposit is refundable after August 30
- Housing Deposit Refunds
Request received May 2 to May 31 -- $100
Request received June 1 - July 1 -- $50
No portion of the housing deposit is refundable after July 1
- Attend the orientation session you selected in April. You’ll have an opportunity to experience your new campus firsthand, meet with academic advisors and register for classes.
- Set up your UNH email using MyUNH and sign up for UNH Alerts.
- Explore your UNH resources like the Center for Academic Resources, Connors Writing Center, Mathematics Center and Student Accessibility Services.
- Complete your required health forms and your UNH Student Health Benefit Plan enrollment or waiver by July 15.
- Submit your final high school transcript by July 15. Don't skip this step; we need to receive your transcript to secure your enrollment for fall.
- Watch for your fall tuition bill by mid-July on your MyUNH account.
- Get credit for your Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) exams and any previously completed college-level courses.
- AP: Be sure the College Board sends your official grade reports to UNH Admissions.
- IB: Ask the International Baccalaureate Organization to send your official IB exam results to UNH Admissions.
- First-Year Credit: Ask the institution where you took college-level courses to send your sealed official grade reports to UNH Admissions.
- Contact UNH Housing & Residential Life at (603) 862-2120 if you haven’t received your housing assignment by August 1.
- Pay your fall tuition bill by August 8 unless you have set up a monthly payment plan. For more information on billing and payment options contact Business Services.
CONGRATULATIONS: You’re a Wildcat! Have any remaining questions? Call UNH Admissions at (603) 862-1360.