Previously Enrolled Students

Former UNH students, whose degree status at the University has been interrupted, may apply to resume their studies by submitting an application for readmission.


  • If you have already earned a degree from UNH (baccalaureate or associate) and are interested in a second degree, apply as a transfer student. Please note: You cannot apply for a second B.A. degree.
  • If you were enrolled in an associate's degree program at the Thompson School or UNH Manchester and wish to apply to a bachelor’s degree program, apply as a two to four year transfer.
  • If you are planning to finish your degree requirements during a summer session, or finish your graduation requirements at another college or university, contact the Registrar’s Office at (603) 862-1594 for information about “Reinstatement for Graduation” procedures.

Readmission Information


  • Fall semester: June 1
  • Spring semester: November 1

Application Fee

$20 application fee. Make check/money order payable to UNH (please do not send cash).


Readmission applications are processed in the Office of Admissions; however, decisions are made by the Dean’s Office of the college division to which you apply and in consultation with the Division of Student & Academic Affairs.

Contact the appropriate Dean’s Office for information regarding restricted programs and/or departmental pre-requisites:

  • College of Liberal Arts, Murkland Hall, (603) 862-2062
  • College of Life Sciences & Agriculture, Taylor Hall, (603) 862-1450
  • College of Engineering & Physical Sciences, Kingsbury Hall, (603) 862-1781
  • College of Health & Human Services, Hewitt Hall, (603) 862-1178
  • Thompson School of Applied Science, Cole Hall, (603) 862-1025
  • Paul College of Business & Economics, Paul College, (603) 862-3885
  • UNH Manchester, Office of Admissions, (603) 641-4150
  • In addition to the Readmission Application, you must obtain a letter from your physician/therapist who has treated you since your withdrawal, indicating the extent of your readiness to resume studies, a description of the status of your condition, and any special needs you may require upon arrival to campus. Have the letter sent directly to UNH Health Services, Executive Director's Office, 4 Pettee Brook Lane, Durham, NH 03824.
  • The physician/therapist's information will be reviewed by the Executive Director of Health Services, as well as your college's Associate Dean, as part of the readmission process. The Admissions Office will consult with the Executive Director of Health Services and your Dean before making a final decision regarding your admission

Provide a statement as to why you believe you can successfully complete a UNH degree program and the specific steps you will take to ensure your future academic success.

Only under extraordinary circumstances will a student be readmitted after being academically dismissed (a second suspension is considered a dismissal). Consult with your former college dean PRIOR to submitting a readmission application.

If you were suspended from the university for disciplinary reasons or left with disciplinary charges pending, you must receive clearance from the Judicial & Mediation Programs Office to return. Contact them at (603) 862-3377, Hitchcock Hall, Room 4, for more information.

Transcripts of Non-UNH Coursework

Coursework completed at other institutions will be evaluated for transfer credit upon receipt of an official transcript. The transcript must include final grades for all coursework completed, including coursework in progress at the time of application.

Financial Aid

The deadline for filing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is March 1. Additional information is available at the Financial Aid website.


While the University does not guarantee on-campus housing for readmitted students, you may contact the Housing Office at (603) 862-2120 regarding the availability of on-campus housing and placing your name on the housing waitlist. We also have available lists for off-campus housing, including a roommate listing.

New Hampshire Residency Information

New Hampshire Residents: If you were previously enrolled as a NH resident and your family’s current permanent address has remained in New Hampshire, you do not need to re-document your in-state status.

If you were previously enrolled as a non-resident and now wish to claim in-state residency, you must document your claim by either submitting an application for in-state status to Registrar, Stoke Hall, 11 Garrison Ave, Durham, NH 03824 or a notarized residency form with your readmission application. Typically, if you have been away for less than three years, you will need to apply for in-state residency through the Registrar’s Office.