Admitted students who would like to postpone enrollment at UNH for a semester or a year can request to defer their admission. Please note the following action items if you plan to defer:
- Requests for deferrals must be put in writing and sent via e-mail to email@example.com or postal mail to the UNH Admissions Office (3 Garrison Ave; Durham, NH 03824). Please include your name and student ID number in the email. If you do not know your student ID number please contact us or include your date of birth.
- The request should include a short description of your intended plans during the defer period.
- Deferrals are granted for personal reasons—ie; time off to work/travel, medical reasons, among others.
- With few exceptions,UNH will not approve deferral requests in which the student will be taking college coursework elsewhere, or completing a post-graduate year.
- If you know you will be deferring your admission you do not need to send in an enrollment deposit now; however, if there is a chance your plans may change, an enrollment deposit must be received by the May 1 deadline to guarantee a space in the class (for fall semester admits).
- If a deferral is approved, a form to reinstate admission for the future semester will be sent with the approval letter. Please follow the instructions provided on that form.
- Students who defer for a year must remember to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1 of the year they will be enrolling to be considered for need-based financial aid. Students who defer for only one semester will have their Financial Aid package modified to indicate only one semester of need.