The University of New Hampshire has partnered with Whelen Engineering Companies, Inc. and Tyco International to create two undergraduate scholarships to recognize excellence in first-year students entering the University’s College of Engineering & Physical Sciences (CEPS).
Each scholarship covers a significant portion of a student’s tuition, fees, and room & board for four years of undergraduate education at UNH.
Criteria for Eligibility
Students who wish to be considered for the scholarship must present credentials that reflect outstanding academic achievement and promise. These include:
- Rigorous program of study including a minimum of four years of mathematics and four years of science, with preference given to Pre-Engineering Programs, Advanced Placement, and International Baccalaureate courses
- Grades that indicate excellence
- Class rank in the top 10 percent (for schools that provide class rank) or equivalent for unranked schools as determined by GPA and/or information on the school profile.
- SAT Reasoning Test score of typically 1390+ New SAT, or higher; or a composite ACT score of 29+, or higher.
- Demonstrated financial need (Whelan only)- must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1
- Submit a supplemental essay by Friday January 27, 2017
- We suggest applying by the November 15, early action deadline for preferred consideration
Candidates must submit all materials requested below by the noted deadline. Finalists will be selected by the College of Engineering & Physical Sciences and invited to participate in a set of interviews to be conducted on the UNH campus, in early March. For chosen candidates who would need to travel long distances details about setting up a Skype or an alternative interview option will be arranged at that time. Applicants will be notified of the results by mid-March.
To ensure full consideration, the following materials are recommended be received by November 15, UNH's early action deadline:
- Application for admission to a major within the College of Engineering & Physical Sciences at the University of New Hampshire. Eligible majors.
- Official test scores for either the SAT or ACT
- Submit an additional scholarship essay through the online form, by Friday January 27, 2017.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the first week in February (This can be submitted after the Nov 15 deadline)
Contact for Additional Information
For additional questions about applying for theses scholarships, or admissions in general, contact the Admissions Office at (603) 862-1360 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
If unable to submit information on-line, you may mail materials to: University of New Hampshire; Office of Admissions/CEPS Industry Scholarships; Smith Hall; 3 Garrison Avenue; Durham, NH 03824.