Application Requirements

Admission Information for Home Schooled First-Year Students

1. The Common Application 

Apply Online (this method is preferred) Submit the Online Common Application from the Common Application website.

2. Official Academic Records and/or a General Equivalencey Diploma (GED)

Documentation should include either an official copy of your transcript, a synopsis of your portfolio outlining the breadth and depth of the material you have covered in your studies and the method of evaluation and/or a copy of your General Equivalency Diploma (GED). If your home school program does not include this information, please contact us, or 603-862-1360, to discern the documentation we will require for the application process.

3. Official SAT or ACT Scores

Scores must be submitted directly from the SAT or ACT testing agency. UNH does not accept scores that appear on the high school transcript, from paper score reports, etc.

UNH considers your highest section scores across all test dates that you submit. We thus encourage you to submit your scores to us each time you take the SAT and/or ACT.

4. Letter of Recommendation

This letter, ideally, should be from an academic source. UNH does not require more than one recommendation and our preference is to receive no more than two. Excess recommendations may delay the admissions review process.

5. Application Fee ($50 for NH residents / $65 for non-residents)

6. Music Audition (for Music majors only)

Auditions are required for students wishing to major in Music. For additional information, including an audition schedule and contact information, please visit the Music Department Website.

Additional Information to Note:

We are also interested in learning how your personal interests and talents have developed over the past few years. We will review your responses to the questions on our application and evaluate your letter(s) of recommendation. We also encourage you to highlight your experience or leadership in local activities such as sports organizations, community service, or other extracurricular activity.

All paper materials for any undergraduate application (including Thompson school), should be sent to:

UNH Admissions
3 Garrison Avenue
Durham, NH 03824

Please use black ink when submitting any paper materials, and be sure to include a date of birth on all paper materials.

There are no interviews as part of the application process.

Permanent resident aliens need to submit a copy of their permanent resident card. Non-U.S. citizens should include a photocopy of the passport page with biographic information.

IEPs, 504 Plans, and other documentation regarding a disability should not be sent to the Admissions Office. These materials should be sent to the Disability Services for Students Office. Any materials of this nature sent to the Admissions Office will be shredded. The attached link highlights many of the significant ways in which a students' high school experience differs from the college experience for students with various types of temporary and permanent physical or learning disabilities.

All offers of admission are considered conditional and are subject to the verification of satisfactory achievement when final transcripts are reviewed by the Admission Committee.